Poetic structure of a limerick
TIPS AND TRICKS
- Limericks often start with the line "There once was a..." or "There was a..."
- The first line usually ends with a person’s first name or the name of a place.
- The last line is usually funny.
YOUR TURN: Now it’s your turn to see if you can write a limerick of your own. Remember to follow these steps:
- Choose the name of a person or place and write the first line.
- Brainstorm for words that rhyme with your person or place name.
- Makes sure lines 2 and 5 to rhyme with the first line.
- Now write lines 3 and 4 with a different rhyme.